New Movie: Tristan and Isolde

Planet Herbs Discussion Board: INTERMEDIATE: New Movie: Tristan and Isolde
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Tierra on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 02:16 pm:

This is a new movie that Lesley and i really njoyed despite the fact that many critics panned it for being unbelievable -- so what's so believable about Harry Potter? Its the kind of Arthurian romance that we love and the lead actor and actress makes for good 'eye candy.'

In one scene, Isolde who is the daughter of an Irish king is supposed to know herbs and she mentions the puffer fish as being a poison and speaks about a bark used as an antidote, then she mentions yohimbe for its aphrodisiac properties.

What's wrong with this herbalism? PS don't let this prevent you from seeing the move, let us know what you think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi Beguin on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 02:54 pm:

In Indonesia it was said that the bark of the Pandanus root can be used as an antidote if you get ciguatera poisoning, which is caused by eating puffer fish.

Fact: Pandanus has been used in the Western Pacific as a traditional nonspecific remedy to treat some of the symptoms of ciguatera. But research/studies have not shown any compounds from this plant to be a specific cure for ciguatera poisoning.

I know that Yohimbe is marketed frequently as an aphrodisiac, but isn't it more of a blood vessel dilator? Would this qualify it as an actual aphrodisiac?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Tierra on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 03:03 am:

Good answer -- let's have some other stabs at this question. By the way, after you see Tristan, the other movie Casanova with its wonderful scenes in Venice is a great follow up. Nothing abut herbs however except the out of date fact that during the 11th century, the most famous medical school of Europe located in Salerno, Italy, that the most famous woman doctor (herbalist) of the time, mentioned in chacer's Caterbury tales, was Trotula. Her medical treatises were subsequently republished many times of the following centuries. There has been a subsequent claim by men that Trotula was soo good a healer that she was acutally a man (she was also said to be married). Anyway, there are records of women impersonating men in the European academies to gain academic knowledge and status.

Interesting reply about puffer fish and yohime but the answerI'm looking for is even more obvious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi_B on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:05 pm:

Uh Oh...I may not be any good at the plain old obvious answers...I'm better at the hard to reach need to do research on answers.

So, is she saying that Yohimbe is the bark that is the antidote to the puffer fish poison? And is this supposed to be because the puffer fish puff up, so to speak, and the yohimbe has similar capabilities?

If that's the case then this is very bad herbalism...but Hollywood is Hollywood, as they say...Kristi_B & daughter in Hollywood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Tierra on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:39 pm:

The obvious answer is that neither yohimbe nor the puffer fish would have been known in Arthurian days of the British isles and Ireland.

The puffer fish is found in the area of Pacific ocean while Yohimbe is an African plant used for the wedding night of certain African tribe (s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Tierra on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:41 pm:

Is that you Kristi in front of Charlie Chaplin's name plate and who's the little one with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kristi_B on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 02:42 pm:

Yipes!! The obvious indeed escapes me.

Yes, this is my daughter and me in Hollywood. We were there this past July, when I was 5 mos. pregnant. We were visiting the music school where my husband went to school nearly 20 years ago.

Since we were on the topic of Hollywood, I thought I'd experiment with the photo option!

It works! I look forward to seeing some of the other students in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By suecoombs on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:31 am:

Very cool picture Kristi. Love it!
And, I would not have known that to be the answer Michael.
We rented a movie the other day, Iron Monkey, I was so jealous of the herbal pharmacy that the main character had. He was doing some of the cupping and moxa in a few scenes. Not sure if the formulations he was spitting out were accurate, but refreshing nonetheless to see some herbalism there.

Sue Coombs